If you understand the concept of “content,” then the idea of a content strategy seems simple. Until you start to dig in. Then you understand quickly that it is simple and complicated at the same time. To start your content strategy out right follow this outline:*
- Define your marketing objectives and what you want to accomplish. Consider both inbound and outbound.
- Identify your buyer personas.
- Map out your buyers journey.
- Create a content inventory.
- Audit the content to determine what is most valuable to the buyers.
- Identify any content gaps in the buyers journey.
- Determine what content needs to be created to fill that gap. Create it.
- Pat yourself on the back. You’re inthe top ½ of marketers now.
- Check the results against your marketing objectives.
- Likely realize you still have a long ways to go. Get back to work.
*This 10 Step Content Strategy is to a real content strategy as a napkin drawing is a map to the top of the Matterhorn. It points you in the right direction, but the real work is up to you. Or somebody. But there’s work to do.